ALLFIE’s work on making sure apprenticeships are accessible to disabled young people too
In 2009 the Labour Government introduced a statutory apprenticeships scheme which was not going to be inclusive of all disabled apprentices.
Since then ALLFIE has campaigned for a fully national inclusive apprenticeships scheme. ALLFIE is campaigning for inclusive:
- Methods of assessing numeracy and literacy skills in the workplace
- Curriculum to allow disabled and non disabled students to learn and work together
- Occupational/work standards
- Removal of the Government set minimum entry requirement (including portfolio for students with learning difficulties)
- Some disabled apprentices being exempted from having to gain GCSE level Maths and English qualifications
- ALLFIE is on the government’s Apprenticeships Advisory Committee.
You can read about Maxime Soret’s apprenticeship as a chef in Inclusion Now 45.
What can you do?
Are you a disabled person who has done an apprenticeship? Get in touch and tell us how it went, good or bad!